Wednesday, May 19, 2004

FSI Workshop on Teaching in the Smart Classroom

My head has been going a million miles a minute recently, so pardon the excessive posting. I have been attending the Faculty Summer Institute (FSI) on campus the past few days (actually I only attended one so far). Anyway, the session I went to yesterday on the Smart Classroom had me thinking about so many technologies I want to play with, both in my teaching and my personal life.



The tablet PC would allow me to cut images easily to the screen my students see and write all over things, hilight them, etc. Boy, would that change the way I think about teaching. Other things I could try using in class: Windows Media Player (why don't we listen to music more in the classroom), QuickTime (there are lots of clips I keep running across to show in class, but I never thought this would be interesting).






So there's a lot of hype recently in Writing Studies about the visual. Some of my colleagues have challenged in their own teaching and research why it is we only hype on the visual. There are many many ways of learning. The film & music both use auditory, as well as visual. I learned that almost 1/3 of the brain is for visual processing. What does that mean exactly? I don't know. But I'd certainly like to incorporate many more kinds of learning into my classroom.