Friday, June 04, 2004

Is critique the only way?

hooks says:
...critical interrogation is not the same as dismissal...It is feminist thinking that empowers me to engage in a constructive critique...(49)
A lot of times when I read, I read for how the text can be of use to me. Does it change the way I think about something? Can I use it in my teaching? Does it illustrate points I already believe to be true? Do I feel inclined to dismiss everything, and why?

Sometimes it seems the way I read is not typical in academia.

But I agree with hooks. Are there ways to critique that are constructive? Are there ways of looking at a text that allow me to take what I need and ignore the rest? I often feel like I do not fit in when I sit in classes where we rip everyone to shreds. Not to say that everyone is right all the time, but everyone is certainly not wrong all the time either. Perhaps a better balance can be struck.