Monday, June 21, 2004

Things that fascinate me

I am recently fascinated by Asian culture. I want to travel to Europe, and Asia, so much, out of America, and see more of the world. I've lived a few places in America. I love American culture. But Asian culture seems fascinating, different, out of my grasp. Movies give me the illusion that I can grasp it and then it quickly slips away.

From Lost in Translation I can see that Tokyo seems like an amazing city. From Platoon I can see that Vietnam is jungles and villages and not anything like western culture. And from Farewell my Concubine, I can see that China has had such a recent changing of governments and rich history, not to mention the sheer volume of people! From my mutterings you can see how little I know about Asian culture.

I also love the West Wing and everytime I watch I wonder why I'm not in politics fighting with these smart people. What is up with the decision I made to do academia? I want to go work for Kucinich and then he makes an amazing comeback and becomes the candidate, and then the president? It's all a fantasy world I know, but it's fascinating. And it makes me cry.

Not to mention once again how fascinated I am by hospitals. Weird thing, I actually would like to go spend a lot of time in hospitals right now. Especially Carle. Carle is a great hospital. But nobody likes hospitals. Well, I'm in love with them right now. And I can't explain it.