Wednesday, June 30, 2004

A brief teaching update

I thought I might update you on the progress of my teaching in this summer session; it's absolutely amazing, and far better than I could have anticipated. My students, though generally confused by the theory I've been throwing at them, have being engaging with it to the best of their ability. I always enjoy grading, because I actually like reading their assignments. Perhaps I am doing them a diservice by not teaching them traditional memo writing form and testing them on it. But really, it is much more enjoyable to teach them the rhetorical aspects of business writing and ask them to put those into play with contexts and audiences in ways that are meaningful to them. Plus, they are far more interesting to read.

So, we have one more week where we talk about grammar and the job search, and then we are off to the wonderful world of web design and my final semester experiment, a collaborative web project with my entire class. We'll see how it goes!