Monday, August 16, 2004

back at the beginning

um yeah. first day of work in a new semester. i feel that need to write all in lowercase letters and not think about everything i need to do today. but rather than letting life bowl me over today, i'm taking it by the ears and pulling real hard. maybe once life calms down, we can chat and walk like normal people. for now, i think i must be in charge.

I just got back from a lovely vacation to Nashville, Tennessee. I love the South. If it wasn't for the ridiculous politics, I think the South and I would be a perfect match. Anyway, that being said, perhaps Nashville isn't really the South, and neither is Florida, although both of them really are. But I could live in Nashville. I could live with cheap live acoustic music every night. I could live with the amazing food. I could live with Publix the greatest grocery store in the country. I saw my first plantations, which was fascinating and totally renewed my interest in African American studies. I bought 2 Tennessee cookbooks, 2 fiction books with slavery & Nashville women, a memoir about Jim Crowe, and a Southern history book. Now, I just gotta find some time to read for fun.

it's 6:48 am, and i'm thrilled to be awake, and ready to take life by the ear.