Friday, July 16, 2004

Why do I have nothing to say?

A good question, one I can't answer apparently since I haven't posted in over a week, and thus I must make it a theme of this blog post. I've been involved in bargaining the first contract here at the U of I, and we finally have a contract, which the membership still has to ratify. Here is a NG article (if this link works). At this point, I don't know what I can say, so I won't say much else. I'm glad the bargaining is over, and as the article says, we support this contract. It was an interesting process to be a part of.

I almost bought a powerbook today, but I'm going to see if I can get a lower interest rate on it with a certain credit card, so I'll wait a day or three. I'm very excited to have a laptop, especially to return to the world of MACs, which I haven't owned since I was an undergrad. My last 2 computer purchases were PCs, a Compaq laptop (which sadly died in an incident involving a glass of water and my ex-roommates cats) and a Dell desktop. The Dell I love, but I really think I'd be better off with a powerbook. There are things I want to do that Dells can't do. But I'm opting out of the IPod, even though it was going to be cheap. I already have the Jukebox, and I like it, so I'll stick with that for now. Perhaps in 3 years I'll buy a purple IPod, as there are secret plans out there that are in the works.

And thus as I've come across this quote, and am still in the midst of Gail's book, it is so very appropriate:
Apple marketed the small, combined CPU-and-monitor system as the people’s computer and claimed that behind the system’s design lay the assumption that it made more sense to teach computers about people than people about computers (74)
I hope my new laptop will be so well taught about me that I'll barely have to teach it anything. Of course, I'll have to change my programming from a PC, and I'll have to learn to switch back and forth (something like being ambidextrous?), but it's all possible. And I'll be able to bring it to work with me. What a joy!