Thursday, December 09, 2004

continued from "from c-u with love"

I wanted to post about Kris Delmhorst's notion of Dorothy and the Wizard of Oz, in response to my yoga teacher this week.

Kris says:
I'm not on no yellow brick road, got a mind and a heart and guts of my own
I'm not looking for a one to set me free
I'm not on no yellow brick road, I'll find my own way home
I'm just looking for someone to walk with me

from "Yellow Brick Road"

My yoga teacher said on Monday that she thinks we should all be like Dorothy, wanting to go home because everything we need is already in our own backyards. Well... I think that's an awfully anti-feminist notion. I mean, what if you grew up in a dysfunctional family like mine where the only thing in your backyard is a nice happy Christian marriage and a lot of pregnancy, or in Dorothy's case, a whole lot of cows? And what about making a family of choice wherever it is that you are?

So you can see why Kris made me want to cry so much tonight. She knows how to hit on all the right soft spots.