Thursday, February 10, 2005

Feminist Media Studies

I'm not knocking my department or program or anything by making this post, but I just wanted to say that the enthusiasm of the people in my Feminist Media Studies class totally gets me excited about doing academic work. And it's awesome that this space is actually filled with people from different disciplines, and housed in an interdisciplinary space. I get kind of tired of being in a program where interdisciplinarity is necessary, but I'm always the outsider, unless I'm taking classes in my department. But even in those classes, there's always someone who feels like an outsider. But not in my Feminist Media Studies class. In there, everyone actively participates, even if they're in different disciplines. And we all wait with baited breath to see what next stroke of genius will come out of someone's mouth. And we all nod our heads and scrawl furiously on our notepads. And we all smile at each other. (Just to note, I can't really speak for everyone here, but this is my limited impression from my limited point of view). I just need more spaces like this. It makes me feel good about what I do.