Friday, March 11, 2005

FYI conference presentation update

I have a lot of good stuff in my head right now for my conference presentation. The question is, can I get it out onto paper in 35 minutes? The answer is, let's post something to my blog.

I love Google news.

Also, here is my conference proposal so you can get a taste of the good things to come.

Technical Communication Research and Public Healthcare Interests


In this talk, I will address the technical communication field’s current move to better position our work in the public sphere through a discussion of my current research of medical records as socially constructed and positioned technical documents. I will discuss possible directions for the field to shift toward work that explores technical documents in a private sphere which are highly relevant to public policy debates. These possible directions might more effectively explore the ways in which these private documents might function for public audiences. My research involves medical records (specifically private patient charts) as a form of technical communication that is central in the healthcare of all individuals. I will first outline the ways medical records qualify as a form of technical communication, and then I will begin to deal with the ways that various agents (doctors, nurses, lawyers, insurance companies, legislators) take up these private documents into public spaces for multiple purposes.

This talk will examine the ways that private healthcare documents and research into their uses in public spaces can reposition the technical communication field to address issues that are relevant to public audiences and public policy.