Sunday, September 05, 2004

Sociohistoric theory and Private vs. Public

I created this blog at some point early this year when I felt like I had too personal a persona on the other blog I was posting to. I wanted something more academic, something to sort through my ideas, and a place I could share them with others. But I was sick of writing about my relationships to purge the inner blahness by sharing it with a public audience. I wanted to separate out my personal life and my work.

And then blogging became far less interesting...

I have a class on sociohistoric theory this semester. The basic idea is, academic life does not exist in a vaccuum. You really can't separate them out. Activity is laminated, and its all occurring at the same time all over the place in my brain. It's huge. You can't study writing just by looking at some papers a set of students did for a class. There are personal histories, classroom activity, academic politics, etc. that affect how students write in classes.

It's been very difficult for me to separate my personal and my academic life. I have a journal that I wanted to use for both, but I hate to take it to campus for fear I'll leave it somewhere and people will be able to read about everything I think. All of it is who I am, and yet I constantly feel the need to omit what I think whatever audience I'm addressing won't understand and will misinterpret. Like I can only teach certain things to my students cause I need to think of where they come from and what topics they will be able to take up.

So I've decided to relive on this blog a conversation I recently had with some friends. Basic gist, copying Paul's course pack would be a pain in the butt, some of us chose to do it and some not, and I dressed cute that day, and my friends liked my shoes. A picture of my cute new shoes: