Sunday, September 12, 2004

Great ideas

You know what really is a great idea? Giving your students assignments that allow them to produce something that is not the same as everyone else's and that is actually interesting to read. It makes me want to grade more than read for any of my classes. Crazy.

I'm going to be observed teaching on Tuesday. I'm not nervous, but I will be having my students draw and talk about their drawings for a significant portion of the class period. Another portion will be dedicated to their literacy journal assignments that they're turning in. Another portion will be dedicated to the handing out of a new response prompt. But truly, it's better that I wasn't observed for Kindergarten Day.

Speaking of which, let me just tell you that college students love Kindergarten. I believe they would prefer to do snack time, story time, and arts & crafts all the time. Why did Kindergarten seem like a such rip off when I was 5? Anyway, it's a pleasure now, and a really interesting way to talk about literacy practices. Thank you brilliant teachers who have come before me and given me the good ideas!